Sunday, July 15, 2007

The Niagara Falls, the World's Honeymoon Capital



The Niagara Falls sits on the USA/Canada border and is divided into two parts - the American side and the Canadian side. Its beauty is unbelievable, made by the American Falls (in New York on the American side) and the Horseshoe Falls (in Ontario on the Canadian side). The volume of water that falls in incredible, and 90% of it is through the Horseshoe Falls. And just to sound nerdy and over-analytic, I'll also add the fact that the falls produce huge amounts of hydroelectric energy for the neighbouring states.



Reaching the main viewing platforms, I could see that tourists from all around the world had flocked here. The thunder of the falls could be heard from far, far away. The mist from the impact of the Horseshoe Falls was strong, and this effect in the late afternoon caused multiple rainbows to be seen at once (reminding me of the hike up Vernal Falls in Yosemite!).



The Maid of the Mist boat ride took people up the Niagara River very close to the impact point of the Horseshoe Falls. I put on my poncho, which was absolutely critical especially towards the halfway point of the ride, when the mist and wind combination became too much for the open eye. It was exciting, and later on I found out that it was the oldest tourist attraction in North America!



The Niagara Falls was amazing, and I was glad that I had seen nature at its best in amongst the many cities that I had planned to see in the period of two weeks.

No comments: